On 27th March 2018, the Ministry of Labour announced that companies in the UAE are permitted to employ domestic and foreign workers on part-time contracts. Foreign employees are also permitted to sign multiple employer contracts if they obtain the necessary approval from the Ministry of Labour.
The part-time contract eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Skilled employment or in a specialised profession
- Candidates must hold either a university degree or technical certificate
The conditions of the part-time contact are that foreign workers will:
- Work less than 8 hours per day and 48 hours per week
- Have at least one day of rest per week
- The contract cannot be changed into a full-time contract unless the part-time contract is terminated