In a bid to help Oman’s domestic workforce the authorities have frozen the hiring of foreign national professionals across the ten industries listed below:
- Information and Technology
- Accounting and Finance
- Marketing and Sales
- Administration and Human Resources
- Medical Professions
- Aviation Professions
- Engineering Professions
- Technical Professions
Foreign national employees who are currently working in Oman are permitted to work until their permit expires. It is unclear, however, if these foreign nationals will be banned from renewing their permit.
Who is exempt from the ban?
- Omani national business owners are exempt from the ban provided they meet the following criteria:
They are the owner and manager of their company
- The company they own is registered with the Public Authorities for SME (Small Medium Enterprises) Development
- The company is registered with Social Security